Be Still



“Be still” has quite literally become the word over my life. I find myself clinging to these words and letting God consume me with his peace. 

Recently, I have found myself frustrated and irritable, fighting anxiety and even a bit of depression. Why am I dealing with this? Why is this happening? Every day it  seems like a battle to just be happy. In the midst of my frustrations, I realized I had been neglecting my relationship with God, so I dropped to my knees and started to pray, in the midst of my praying i felt the urge to just be silent and in that moment I heard the Lord tell me to be still. 

My grandma once told me, the world is loud and god whispers. That has never been more true in my life. When your world gets chaotic it gets harder to hear God’s voice but when you just be still, you can hear his voice and what he has for you.

I realized I felt the way I did was because I had been fighting my battles on my own. You see our battles were never designed to be fought alone. They were designed for us to fight as much as we can and then to rely on God to do what ONLY he can do. He literally tells us, come to me all who are weary and I will give you rest (Matthew 11:28). He means it. You can only do so much on your own, you were DESIGNED to NEED God.

We live in a society that tells us that we don’t need anybody, to be independent, that you create your own destiny. Only the creator of heaven and earth knows your destiny. He already knows every moment of your life, nothing you do will change that. And while it’s great to be independent and do things for yourself just remember you never had to do anything alone. Our God was by you the entire time, he never left your side. In you times of trouble he was standing there with open arms waiting for you to invite him into your situation. 

As a parent, there have been so many times I have intervened on my son’s behalf. That “mama bear” instinct kicks in and there isn’t anything or anyone that will stop you from protecting your child. The same goes for our father in heaven. When we give God permission to intervene in our lives, there isn’t anything or anyone that will get in his way. All you need to do is “be still and know that he is God” Psalm 47:10

What this looks like for me is sitting in silence, with my eyes closed, breathing in and out. I release all the anxiety, depression, frustration and issues in my life and I give them to God. As I sit there I feel overwhelming peace and I feel my heart start to fill with joy. There is nothing like the feeling of God’s peace. It is unexplainable and really just the best feeling in the world. 

The words “Be still” have made such an  impact on my life and have given my life new meaning. I feel renewed knowing I need only be still and that God will take care of the things I cannot. Knowing that I am never alone and never had to be, gives me the confidence to face this would and the trials that come with it. 

 “The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still.” Exodus 14:14

Comments

  1. This is exactly what I needed to read. It’s 4:30 am and I was laying awake full of anxiety. I prayed and was just trying to give it to God and to relieve this feeling by reminding myself that I have to just trust in Him. I got a glass of water went in my phone and was scrolling through instagram and saw your page. For whatever reason I decided to click on your bio. Now I feel at peace and overjoyed because I feel like God guided me to this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts